Dade County Courthouse
In 1890 the first courthouse on record was built
in Miami-Dade County in Juno, Florida.
courthouse remained in Juno for almost 10 years
before being relocated down the river into
Miami. The original wooden framed building
consisted of offices and jail cells on the first
floor and a small court room on the 2nd floor.
In 1904 a new building on Flagler Street was
constructed out of coquina rock and had an
elegant roof (for that time period) installed.
The courthouse was large enough to handle all
community business and serve as a beautiful
addition to the city.
Over the next 20 years the growth of Miami was
moving too rapidly for the court systems to keep
up with. It was decided that a new courthouse
needed to be constructed as soon as possible in
efforts to keep up with the steady growth of
Antony Teneycke Brown was the chosen architect
for the new building.
The new building was built
around the old building and then dismantled from
The final decision between the
county and Mr. Brown was that a 25 storey
would be built this time to allow
for growth and expansion of Miami. The new
courthouse became the first high rise building
to be built in Miami-Dade County.
The structure was finally finished in 1928 and
the move-in of both the courthouse and Miami
City Hall commenced immediately. The top nine
floors of the new courthouse were decided to be
used as the “maximum security” area of the jail
house. Presently people laugh at hearing about
this because a record setting 70 prisoners
escaped from this so called high security jail