Miami Metro Area

 

The Miami metropolitan area is by far the most diverse city anywhere on the eastern sea border. This city has long been a melting pot for immigrants from all over Latin America.

 

In the last census over 48 different countries were being represented in Miami. People from Columbia, Brazil, Valenzuela, Peru, Nicaragua, Honduras, Guatemala, Cuba, Jamaica, Haiti, Trinidad & Tobago, Dominican Republic, Bahamas, Barbados, Guyana, and many more have set up homes in Miami and are taking a big part in sharing their culture with tourists.

 

Miami isnít just a mix of international residents either. People from all over America come to Miami to retire or they came for a visit and decided this was the place that they wanted to be.There are a documented 5 million plus residents squeezed into this little South Florida region, but the funny thing about it is only half of them actually speak the same language.

miami metro area

 

On average, 53% of the Miami residents actually speak good English. The other 47% speak Spanish, Creole, French, German, Hebrew, Portuguese, or some other foreign language dialect. Thatís an amazing amount when you think about the fact that this is just one small part of Florida with all of these different languages and cultures stuffed into one metropolitan area.

 

So that brings around the question of housing for all these people. South Florida has a total of around 2.3 million housing units right now. This helps people to understand why this record breaking building boom is going on throughout the area. Shortage of housing is definitely a problem when you

are dealing with a population that is growing each year at an alarming rate.

 

How many people can Miami honestly fit into this tiny nook of Florida? The answer was solved a few years ago when the first new skyscrapers began construction. Since the area didnít have the land to expand any further outwards, the Miami-Dade County board decided that it was best to expand upwards.

 

This idea is obviously working out as planned because most of the residential skyscrapers that have been completed have already sold out of all of their units. Even the buildings that are still under constructed are 70% or more spoken for and they arenít set to be completed for another year or two.

In just three short years, Miami changed from retirement village to posh and chic city. The plans that this city has laid out for themselves over the next 10 years will definitely be something that will be listed in the history books to come.